At a time of indisputable societal and environmental change, it is important to gain a broad understanding of how embedding sustainability into core business strategy benefits financial performance and management practices. Being on the forefront of this emerging field is fundamental to the future of business. At the same time, the industry demands graduates who understand how to account for sustainability and more generally understand sustainability from the business perspective. Sustainable Business illustrates how businesses can thrive and grow while simultaneously solving some of the world’s biggest challenges and how we, as individuals, can make the difference.
This course aims at providing students with the required tools to take adequate decisions in an economy that is quickly moving in the direction of sustainability.
Upon completion of this course, students will:
- have an overview of the current framework and pending EU regulations to foster the sustainability agenda, in particular regarding sustainable finance;
- understand new financing instruments and its impact on sustainability;
- be able to evaluate corporate decisions in line with sustainable business criteria (strategic as well as operational decisions); understand how sustainability challenges
- become business opportunities promoting value creation
- understand the fundamental change behind the transformation from the linear to the circular economy;
- understand the concepts of shared value and social innovation and their implications for the management of organisations;
- understand the meaning and relevance of social entrepreneurship;
- have experienced to work on a assigned project in an internationally composed team;
- have learnt to prepare, structure and craft the presentation of their project and how to professionally present it.
Who can attend?
This Summer School targets undergraduate students from WU and undergraduate and master students from UCP and UCP partner universities.
- Fluency in English, no knowledge of the Portuguese language is required.
- More than 18 years old.
The academic program will be on Sustainable Business and will be held entirely in English.
To get a first idea of the academic program, you can refer to the Course Outline from the 2022 program edition. The updated course outline for 2023 will be soon published on this website.